at thegallery Dental Practice in Buckingham
For individuals who wish to replace missing teeth, dental implants may be an effective long-term solution. Implants provide greater structural support and last longer than either bridges or dentures. Implants serve as the artificial root to which new teeth are bonded. They are typically constructed of titanium, a strong and safe material that effectively attaches to bone. The procedure to insert dental implants typically involve three steps: the implant insertion stage, osseointegration (the period of healing for the jawbone), and the attachment of the restoration or new tooth.
Top tips to consider before selecting an implantologist.
- Experience: Ask how many years experience the dentist has and how many implants he/she has placed, request testimonials if possible.
- Qualifications and training: Some dentists can do a course for implants in just one weekend.
- Check the make and quality of implants: Have they any evidence of long term success rate. A few successful and well known companies are for example: Astra, Straumann, Ankylose, Nobel Biocare.
- Implant company background: Recently new implant companies have reached the market. Check these companies have evidence, as some are even made in the Far East. Like other companies they start up and close down. At The Gallery Dr Balaji has seen some patients who have previously had these implants which have failed. Due to the unawareness of the company, there was nothing that could be done for them apart from new implants.
- Does the dentist offer guarantees? Is your dentist willing to give you a guarantee and are they going to replace it for free if the implant fails?
- Is the dentist or surgeon local? Check if he/she is just visiting, as you need to guarantee if something was to go wrong someone will know how to treat you in the long term.
- Cheap is not always a good option: All of the aforementioned points should considered before making your decision. Would you really want to go through this expensive surgical procedure again? The recent PPI Breast Implants scandal is a worrying example.
- Quality of implant crowns: Implant crowns need to be well made to fit the implant, ensure the teeth suit your bite and look as natural to your smile as possible.
Our points are merely a guide to help you make the best decision for you - when selecting where to have your implants undertaken and what you get for your money. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at thegallery Dental and Implant Centre on 01280 822567. We are very happy to help.
“I am very pleased with both the look and feel of the implant and crowns that you fitted last month... For the first time since losing my tooth in 2002, my mouth now feels natural, and I can bite without being conscious of the denture. I also appreciated your considerate, calm and reassuring approach during the course of this treatment.”
If you’re thinking about having dental implants, I have no hesitation in recommending Dr Balaji for his excellent treatment.”